Monday, March 8, 2010

Intentional Faith Practices Week 3 Day 1



Last week I had the opportunity to engage in our "Chicken Soup for the Soul" Lenten series. I wasn't able to make it for the soup but after both kids were safe at home I walked over for the "Soul" part. It was a small yet mighty group gathered, under the faithful guidance of Gwen Lang, a wonderful experience was had by all. The topic and the stories revolved around the issue of obstacles in our life, how we deal with them, and ultimately how we grow with them.

At NCC the kids have an easy time entering the world of intentional faith practices. Sunday School for the younger kiddos is fun and engaging. Confirmation and Youth Group seems to capture the enthusiasm of our teenage members. The area where we might be more intentional are the programs for adults. But that has always been an issue. Adults lives are filled with obstacles that get in the way of their having time, making time, setting as a priority faith learning just for them. The Faith Formation team is working well and developing a plan which includes a variety of forms of programs that might fit a variety of needs. This is wonderful! Thanks Gwen and other team members. We need to support their efforts and take seriously for ourselves the ways we engage in deepening our faith outside of Sunday morning.

Don't get me wrong, I think the churches first responsibility is for worship to be a growthful and transforming experience (see prior blogs)and then for folks to leave wanting more... I guess the question really is ... are people feeling they want more? what is the more they want? how might we as a church help meet that need?

Just thoughts for us to ponder...

The questions for Day 15 are good ones:Outside of worship, how do you deepen your understanding of the Christian Faith? How do you cultivate your relationship with Christ?

0

Help me Lord to delight in learning your word so that like a tree planted by a stream of water, my life may bear fruit.

Blessings to you all,
Rev. P

3 comments:

  1. I think we do a wonderful job at NCC deepening the understanding of faith for our children and youth....but as for adults, I feel it is a much harder goal to attain.
    As Rev. Patty stated, with the lives we as adults lead, it is hard to find time to set aside for the opportunities we are given. I, for one, thought the Chicken Soup for the Soul series was a great way to bridge the gap from strict bible study, so to say, to cultivating a deeper understanding of one's own beliefs and thoughts. Unfortunately, I just could not get there. How many times do we say that in our lives - how many times do we not really take the time for ourselves? (Especially those of you with young children!) I am not sure how recently it has been attempted at NCC, but how about a weekend or overnight retreat for adults? Strangely enough, I think some might find this type of program easier to fit into their schedules than a weekly commitment. Not sure - but it might be something we could look into to further adult ed.
    As for the questions today, how do I deepen my understanding of the Christian Faith outside of worship? Personally, my biggest commitment is to the Sunday School program and I delight in the children. It is through them and the curriculum that I oftentimes learn about the bible's stories myself. Outside of NCC, I believe I cultivate my relationship with Christ by living by the golden rule....or at least trying to. Maybe too abstract? I have not found in myself yet the desire to sit and read the bible, to attend religious or spiritual events outside of NCC (unless they are music-related), but am keeping that door open if the time comes for me to cultivate that part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outside of worship I try to find Christ in everything- a beautiful sky, a friendly person, even a rainstorm. My relationship with Christ isnt anything where I feel I need to say "okay, at 6pm tonight I am going to talk with Christ". Certainly I set time aside to have a peaceful time with God, but for the most part my day is almost as if God is my shadow. I ask questions, challenge my beliefs and pray at all times of the day. The irony is that we should try to be the shadow following God. For something more substantial I occasionally participate in Spirit Chapel at 9pm daily on the UCC website. Growing up Catholic and attending daily masses with my mother I find myself longing for a time of worship during the week which provides extreme meditation and peace.

    I love Ellen's idea of an overnight or weekend retreat for adults. I would be first on the list because during experiences like those, we deepen our relationship with Christ and with each other. When I went through confirmation in high school I remember attending a retreat which spanned two nights and three days, ending with a touching and interactive worship service- everyone had something to contribute.

    Christ is with us always, if we open our hearts to Him. In times like these we often get so caught up with life that we forget to do that. Even on Sundays for us who are very active Sunday mornings and afternoons we forget what worship is for...I for one do. During this time of Lent I just pray for myself and all of us that we find a way to open our hearts more fully to God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi....Ellen and Shawn, you will be happy to know that a retreat is already on the list of things the faith formation team wants to do....early in the fall.
    To answer the question about where I learned a lot about faith formation....I would go to retreats and got involved in the Womans' Fellowship group at the state level and found lots of fellow traveler's. I am leaving for Vt. to the New England Woman's Celebration in Burlington VT in 15 minutes, so plan to once again connect with others and participate in wonderful worship services and workshops. I like to read books about religion, too...maybe a book discussion group would be a neat idea. I am hoping to get some new ideas at this conference.....Growing in faith is like eating sweets, the more you taste, the more you want to indulge!
    OH, the other way I learned a lot is by teaching Sunday School.....that door is always open and it is a fun way to learn.

    ReplyDelete